Friday, May 14, 2010

Sarah's Project Plan

There has been a bit of confusion around the project plan post Jacob made a while back.  The plan he posted was his personal plan, not mine and not a joint one.  My personal plan is as follows:

-I am now working in the public health office at the Soma Major Health Center three days a week, supporting the public health team with reproductive and child health clinics, inspections, health education, and information management.  During my time here, I hope to improve their nutritional counseling practices for mothers of under- and mal-nourished children, expand outreach to the local schools (which provide very little health education), and improve data collection and analysis. This work is an excellent opportunity for me to experience public health practice on the ground in a developing country.  It also gives me an entry point for providing suggestions on a wide range of public health activities in the region.

-I am working with Jacob on developing a proposal and finding funding for a solar-powered well and pump in a nearby community.  We are currently working with the community to to apply for a Peace Corps small project assistance grant.

-I am interested in working further with the Rural Development Institute, but I haven't figured out yet what my entry point(s) will be (beyond the above-mentioned club, sitting in on classes, and going along on treks to visit students on practical).  One option is helping to develop resources for the stuents to take with them when they graduate.  Another is teaching basic computer skills.  Another is participating in their upcoming curriculum redesign.

-When the new school year starts in the fall, I hope to start several school-related clubs, including homeworks clubs for girls (hopefully meeting at our village skill center, which has solar power and plenty of tables and chairs) and possibly a gender club at the Rural Development Institute.

-There are a variety of other smaller things that could potentially grow into bigger projects, including, but not limited to: encouraging people to make, sell, and use neem cream (a local insect repellent); solar drying fruits and vegetables; ongoing informal health education at the village level; working to improve Peace Corps/The Gambia's gender work (I am the health sector representative on the Gender and Development committee); and working to improve Peace Corps/The Gambia's data on PCV skills and project work (this surveys are being distributed as I write this).

Please keep in mind that this list is HIGHLY subject to change, but it should give you all some idea of what I'm working on over here :-) 

I'm going to post a lot of pictures and even some video next week, so keep an eye out for that!

No comments: