Friday, September 24, 2010

Working hard....or maybe too hard?

As Sarah mentioned I have gradually shifted to do more IT work. I am sure you all aware that while I am definitely comfortable with computers, troubleshooting and solving all problems is not a skill I have developed significantly. I turned to Daniel for some suggestions and have spent all day browsing some websites and downloading information that might be useful so I will have access to it at site. In Kombo I have a reasonably fast connection. At site I have a 56k connection or occasionally something a bit faster.

Anyways, it is now closing time so as everyone was leaving someone said to me that it is important that I do not finish all my work at once and that I need to leave some for tomorrow. If I finish all my work in one day I am telling my employer that I do not have enough work and I don't really need to be here at all. Thus threatening my job security. I have previously heard that it is unwise to demonstrate talent at something you don't want to do and the logic behind that makes sense to me. However, I have never thought that being productive decreases your job security. Interesting conversation and potentially an important component in perceived differences in work ethic.

No comments: