Friday, November 12, 2010

HIV Education Bike Trek (written Nov 8)

Last week I participated in an HIV Education Bike Trek where I went from school to school with seven other volunteers teaching students about HIV/AIDS. The trek actually consisted of around thirty volunteers, plus Gambian supporters, divided into three teams which convened at the end of the week in Farafenni. Our team worked our way from Janjanbureh (MacCarthy Island) to Farafenni, visiting schools along the way. It was really a great experience and it inspired me to start planning a mini bike trek in our region early next year. More to come on that later. I took a ton of pictures, so I'm going to break this into two posts:


Double decker rams on top of a geli on my way to Janjanbureh. Very impressive! This is how you know Tobaski is coming...


Doing my part emptying out a watermelon for carving


Watermelon jack-o-lantern! Chris with her masterpiece.


Getting ready to ride to our first school


And they're off!


Kids welcoming us at our first school


Julia and Abby surrounded by kids


Abby and Sarah M were matchy matchy for the first day of teaching


Julia in action


Kids performing a drama


Kids in class


Sarah M in action


Looking good!


Video of kids welcoming us at another school

No comments: