Wednesday, January 18, 2012

An education in Aussie and British English

So, as you know if you've been following my posts about my India/Nepal trip, I've spent the past two weeks with a very international group of people which included quite a few British and Australian people. I quickly realized that while all they were pretty familiar with American English from tv/movies/etc, I was light years behind on their lingo. Of course they said things like "loo," "dodgy" and "mate" that most Americans recognize and understand, but they also used other words that were completely new to me. This isn't a comprehensive list by any means, but here are a few examples for all your entertainment:

1) Woolies (winter clothes)
2) Jumper (sweater that doesn't open in the front)
3) Mozzies (mosquitoes)
4) Lappy (laptop)
5) Peckish (hungry)
6) Bathers (bathing suits)
7) Taking the piss (making a joke)
8) Gutted (disappointed)
9) Capsicum (bell pepper)
10) Bobble (pom pom, like one on a winter hat)

No comments: