Thursday, June 4, 2009

Goodbyes

I've never been particularly good at goodbyes, partially because I'm generally not very emotional. It's not that I'm not an emotional person or that I don't miss my friends and family when I'm not with them...it's just that I don't tend to get emotional at that actual moment of exchanging "goodbyes." That is why I was taken completely off guard by how difficult it was to leave CARE. In an attempt to make some sort of sense of the situation, I did what I usually do, which was make a list. Here are some reasons why I think it was so difficult:

-CARE is truly an amazing organization that I've become more attached to than I realized.
-I feel incredibly fortunate that my first non-internship job out of college was such a great fit for me (and is a career path I want to pursue). I know many many people who weren't so lucky.
-I spent 8+ hours a day with the same small highly collaborative team (with only a few staffing changes) for the past 2 1/2 years.
-Our team worked extremely well together, and actually liked each other!
-My supervisor was a hugely supportive mentor that helped me grow by leaps and bounds while working for her team.

Sarah