Monday, July 5, 2010

American Doctors in The Gambia

On July 1 a group of doctors, nurses, and dentists on a mission trip to The Gambia came to our village to provide free medical care to anyone who came. There were a few young kids in our compound who needed some medical care so I made sure they went. I ended up spending most of the day making sure the few friends I had there made it through the system, received, and understood the care the needed. I think the program worked out pretty well.

At the conclusion of the program the people on the mission trip wanted to go on a "Prayer Walk." Basically they wanted to walk through the village and see what is important in the village so they could pray for happiness and success of the village. I walked with them pointing out important areas in the village. At the conclusion of this walk one person asked if it would be ok if they prayed for me and for our village. Not knowing quite what to expect I said yes. Looking back it was actually a pretty interesting and pleasant experience. I guess it was cool to see people who were very passionate and faithful but were not remotely over the top or fundamentalist. Unfortunately it is not a sight we see in the world all that often...

No comments: