Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Change of Scenery

So I have a pilonidal cyst. Unfortunately living in a hot dirty environment and traveling on bumpy roads in poorly cushioned seats results in an environment seemingly tailored to aggravate said cyst. Lo and behold - it has been aggravated. Peace Corps has sent me South Africa to take care of it. I had surgery last Friday to remove the cyst and am now waiting in South Africa for everything to heal up. The surgery went smoothly and there were no complications. I will see the surgeon next week and at that point should know more about when I will be able to return to The Gambia.

As a side note - many RPCVs talk about how difficult it is to handle the reverse culture shock of moving back to the United States. I didn't pay much attention to this until arriving in South Africa. Just walking through the airport was an odd experience and one I wasn't completly comfortable with at first. By this point everything is fine but that first reaction was a bit odd. We have only been in The Gambia since November - I can't imagine my reaction when I return home after the conclusion of our service.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear the surgery went well and you are on your way to recovery! Steve and I have been thinking of you. You'll have another chance for culture shock next month in France... We're looking forward to seeing you and Sarah!

Heal well!

Unknown said...

Ouch, and best of luck healing up and not aggravating some other painful condition.