Friday, April 2, 2010

Little victories

From the very beginning, our Peace Corps trainers always emphasized that the key to keeping up your morale throughout your service is to take things one day at a time and to focus on your little victories. This, of course, made sense in theory, but I now am realizing how very true that is. Here is a fun little anecdote I thought you all might enjoy:

Yesterday I walked into my compound and was confronted by one of my favorite little host sisters, five year-old Ntanding, looking very serious, with a one-dalasi coin in one hand and a small piece of rusted corrogate in the other. Without a word, she help up the coin and looked at me inquisitively. In Mandinka, I said "That is money." She nodded and held up the corrogate. In Mandinka, I said "That is corrogate." She broke into a huge grin and turned on her heel and danced away, singing at the top of her lungs "Fanta knows! Fanta knows! Fanta knows!" Little victories indeed :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, those little victories!

Anonymous said...

As an NGO volunteer soon coming for my 6th trip to Gambia, I am in awe of all of the PCVs. You are all remarkable. We are looking for a PCV contact up in Sambang, Our group is based in Seattle, WA. Check out the website www.hopefirst.org. We are bringing 225 bikes (www.konaafricabike.com) to promote girl attendance in school, amongst other projects in the works, all focused on reducing the barriers to girls going to school. If you have any info on a PCV near Sambang, please pass on my email. sandym@hopefirst.org. Our group of volunteers will be in gambia in September. Thanks much and good luck.

Sarah said...

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for getting in touch (and for all your great work!). I checked out your website and I'm particularly glad to hear that you plan to give the bikes to the schools to loan out instead of giving them to the girls themselves. If you gave them to the girls directly, realistically they would probably end up either sold or being used by male family members.

There is a PCV in Medina Wallum, and I am forwarding your message on to him. He will be in touch soon. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Sarah